How to Get my U.S. Passport Fast (2024)

  • We offer four types of service:
    • *Life-or-Death Emergency
    • *Urgent Travel
    • Expedited
    • Routine
  • Consider the total time it will take to get a passport, including mailing times, when booking your international travel.
  • *Restrictions apply for Life-or-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service. You must also have an appointment for these services.
  • Use our Form Filler tool to fill out your form online. Print the form at home to save time and reduce errors caused by handwriting.
  • Expand the options below to learn more about the four types of service we offer.

Contacting Us If You Have Urgent Travel

We encourage customers who have already applied tocheck their application status onlineand sign up for updates via email. How our contact center can help you depends on your travel date, and if you have applied or not yet applied...


I'm traveling in 5 days or less.I'm traveling in 6-14 days.I'm traveling in more than 14 days.
Call 1-877-487-2778. You must have an appointment to go to a passport agency or center. We cannot guarantee an appointment will be available.Call 1-877-487-2778. We will notify the agency processing your application of your date of travel. Processing times for routine applications are 6-8 weeks, and expedited applications are 2-3 weeks.

Call only if you are changing your mailing address, or want expedited service or 1-2 day delivery of your completed passport.Subscribe to email updates about your application status.

I'm traveling in 14 days or less.I'm traveling in more than 14 days.
Make an appointment online to go to apassport agency or center. We cannot guarantee an appointment will be available.Make an appointment online if you need a foreign visa within the next 28 days. We cannot guarantee an appointment will be available.
  • Representatives are available Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time. We close on federal holidays.
  • Our primary number is 1-877-487-2778. Se habla español.
  • If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-888-874-7793 for TDD/TTY teletype services.
  • Contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate if you are applying outside the United States.


Traveling in Less Than 2-3 Weeks

Make an Appointment at a Passport Agency or Center

We have two types of appointments:Life-or-Death Emergency ServiceandUrgent Travel Service.

  • You cannot walk in without an appointment.
  • We do not charge a fee to make an appointment.
  • You cannot transfer your appointment to another customer.

Life-or-Death Emergency Service: We are prioritizing customers who are traveling internationally in the next 3 business days due to a qualifiedlife-or-death emergency. Learn more on ourLife-or-Death Emergency page.

Urgent Travel Service: If you have not yet applied, make an appointment online. Your appointment must be scheduled within 14 calendar days of your international travel date.

If you have already applied, call 1-877-487-2778. Your appointment must be scheduled within 5 calendar days of your international travel date.

Appointments are limited and we cannot guarantee one will be available.


Traveling in Less Than 8 Weeks

Expedite a First-Time Application or a Child's Application

Use our Form Filler to fill outForm DS-11and apply in person at an acceptance facility.

Here's how you expedite at an acceptance facility:

  • Fill out your DS-11 application and collect your documents. SeeHow to Applyfor more information.
  • Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee.SeePassportFeesfor more information.
  • Find anacceptance facilitynear you to submit your application and fees. Some facilities may require appointments.
  • Purchase USPS' Priority Mail Express for faster shipping of your application to us.
  • The expedite fee does not include the optional 1-2 day delivery fee of your completed passport.


Expedite a Renewal or Name Change by Mail

Here's how to expedite the application by mail:

  • Use our Form Filler tool, and follow the instructions for completingForm DS-82if you are renewing, or Form DS-5504 if you are changing your name within one year of a passport being issued.
  • Collect your supporting documents.
  • Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee. SeePassportFeesfor more information.
  • Clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of theenvelope.
  • The expedite fee does not include the optional 1-2 day delivery fee.
  • Purchase USPS' Priority Mail Express for faster shipping of your application to us.

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I pay for faster delivery and return shipping?

Yes. You may choose one or both of the following shipment options:

  • Delivery to us: Purchase Priority MailExpress from the United States Postal Servicefor faster shipping of your application to us. The price for this service varies depending on the area of the country.
  • Return to you: Pay $19.53 for 1-2 day delivery. This means you will receive your passport1-2 days after we send it. Include the fee with your passport fee in your check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for fastest return shipping. Do not submit a return envelope to us with postage pre-paid.

Youmay receive your passport and the supporting documents submitted with your application in separate mailings. If you are renewing a passport card, we will send it to you viaFirst Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 day delivery services if you only applied for a passport card.


Frequently Asked Questions

I need my passport sooner than I thought. What should I do?

Call the National Passport Information Center at1-877-487-2778(1-888-874-7793TDD/TTY) to request expedited service for an extra $60.You may also add a 1-2 delivery service of your completed passport book for an extra $19.53. One-to-two day delivery is not available for passport cards. We only send cards via First Class Mail.


What are passport expeditors and courier companies?

Passport expeditors and couriers are private companies that are not part of the U.S. Department of State. These companies submit applications and pick up passports for customers.

These companies may charge several hundred dollars in extra fees, or charge for services that we offer for free such as making an appointment and filling out a form.

To learn more about these companies, visit ourPassport Expeditor and Courier page.

Last Updated: February 12, 2024

How to Get my U.S. Passport Fast (2024)


What is the fastest I can get my U.S. passport? ›

Processing Times
  • Routine: 6-8 weeks*
  • Expedited: 2-3 weeks and an extra $60*
  • Urgent Travel: See our Get my Passport Fast page.

What is the fastest time to get a passport? ›

Choose this service if you are traveling in less than 8 weeks from the date you submit your application. Expedited service takes 2-3 weeks and does not include mailing times. Mailing times may add 2 weeks on to the total time to get your passport.

How fast can you get a US passport card? ›

The processing time for a US passport card is generally 4-6 weeks from the time of application. However, it can take longer if there are any issues with your application such as missing documents or incorrect information.

How much is a U.S. passport? ›

I'm an adult (16 and older) and I'm renewing my passport
DocumentForm FillerApplication Fee
Passport BookDS-82$130
Passport CardDS-82$30
Passport Book & CardDS-82$160
Apr 22, 2024

Can I get a passport in two weeks reddit? ›

How do you prove it? If you haven't applied for a passport yet, you can try and get an appointment at a passport agency within two weeks of your travel date. It's a same-day passport service. Due to the high volume of applicants, however, it's been really difficult to get an appointment anywhere.

How long is a US emergency passport? ›

An emergency passport is limited to one year or less and does not have an embedded electronic chip. CAUTION: Some countries may not accept an emergency passport and you could be refused entry by immigration officials or denied boarding by airline personnel.

Can I get my passport on the same day in the USA? ›

If you are traveling within the next two weeks, you may be able to visit the U.S. Passport Office for same-day or next-day processing.

What is the best place to get a passport? ›

Passports. Thousands of Post Offices accept first-time passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. Most of those locations can also take your passport photo.

How long should I wait to get my passport? ›

After completing the application form, pay the processing fee online. Regular processing costs P950. 00 and takes 12 working days.

Do I need a passport to go to Mexico? ›

U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport book or card, and an entry permit issued by Instituto Nacional de Migración. Enter Mexico with valid proof of automobile registration, even if remaining in the border zone.

What countries accept the U.S. passport card? ›

The card is for U.S. citizens who travel by land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean countries. The card is not valid for international travel by air and is cheaper than the passport book.

Do you need a passport for a cruise? ›

When traveling outside of the U.S. a passport is always recommended, but cruises are the exception to the rule. As long as you book a closed loop cruise, you can travel to certain destinations without a passport.

What's the difference between a passport book and a passport card? ›

Passport Book: Valid for all domestic travel as well as international travel by air, sea or land. Passport Card: Valid for all domestic travel including when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

Is a U.S. passport a good passport? ›

This makes it one of the most desirable passports in the world with a very high mobility score. American passport holders have visa-free and visas on arrival access to countries such as Japan, Peru, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Canada and the entire European Union allowing almost instant travel worldwide.

Can I get my passport on the same day in USA? ›

If you are traveling within the next two weeks, you may be able to visit the U.S. Passport Office for same-day or next-day processing.

Can I renew my U.S. passport online? ›

Passports can only be renewed by mail, and the renewal process for passport books and cards is the same. You will select which type of passport you want when you fill out the application form. Online renewals are currently paused.

How long does a passport renewal take? ›

Online renewal service: Renewing a passport online is typically faster than the standard service. It often takes about three weeks as well.

Is pass travel USA legit? ›

Description. Found as a result of doing a Google search for "Passport renewal". They are a fraudulent website impersonating the United States Government and duping people out of their money under the pretense of applying for a passport renewal.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Mr. See Jast

Last Updated:

Views: 6047

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (55 voted)

Reviews: 86% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Mr. See Jast

Birthday: 1999-07-30

Address: 8409 Megan Mountain, New Mathew, MT 44997-8193

Phone: +5023589614038

Job: Chief Executive

Hobby: Leather crafting, Flag Football, Candle making, Flying, Poi, Gunsmithing, Swimming

Introduction: My name is Mr. See Jast, I am a open, jolly, gorgeous, courageous, inexpensive, friendly, homely person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.